Tonight I had a chance to talk to Boy Scout Troop 160 in Leesport PA. They are preparing for a fall backpack, and for many of the boys, this will be their first overnight trip. I’m writing this post mainly for them, but everyone is more than welcome to use the info presented here.
Anyone who attended tonight’s meeting got to (or HAD to) listen to me talk about ultralight backpacking. I think a lot of my stuff looked a little alien to some of the attendees, but they all hung in there and asked a lot of good questions (even though I ran VERY long… Sorry). I ran out of printer ink, so I wasn’t able to make copies of my handout for you. If you want a copy, you can get it HERE. Thanks for having me!
Along the way, I showed you a lot of things. Here’s a list of some of them:
- Backpack: Gossamer Gear Murmur
- Sleeping Bag: Enlightened Equipment RevelationX 10 Degree
- Sleeping Pad: Exped SynMat UL 7
- Pack Liner/Sleeping Pad Pump Sack: Exped Schnozzel Pump Bag
- Shelter: ZPacks Hexamid Solo Tarp and Solo Groundsheet with Titanium Stakes
- Water Treatment: Aquamira
- Camp Water Bottle: Platypus 2L Platy Bottle
- Stuff sacks and Dry Bags: Zpacks Stuff Sacks and Dry Bags
- Trekking Poles: Black Diamond Distance
- Rain Jacket: Outdoor Research Helium 2
- Rain Pants: O2 Rainwear Original Pant
- Stove and Windscreen: Trail Designs Caldera Cone Ti-Tri Classic
- Emergency Messager: Spot 2
- Headlamp: Petzl e+Lite
- Utility Cord: Zpacks Z-Line 1.25mm
I mentioned a few books during my talk, so I’ll list those, too.
- A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
- The Last Englishmanby Keith Foskett
- The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide: Tools & Techniques to Hit the Trail by Andrew Skurka
- Ultralight Backpackin’ Tips: 153 Amazing & Inexpensive Tips for Extremely Lightweight Camping by Mike Clelland
- I Hike by Lawton Grintner
If you’re interested in learning more, I’m posting a few interesting videos that can get you started below:
If anyone has any questions, please ask!